Stake Baptism Information
Nov 08, 2016
FOR FAMILIES WHO HAVE CHILDREN WHO TURN 8
We have 11 wards in our Salem Stake. Our Stake is very large and some of our wards are very full. We try our best to make your baptism special for your child. We suggest that you have a special FHE lesson with your child to prepare them to make these sacred covenants. Teach them about Baptism, receiving The Holy Ghost and practice where your hands go for the baptism so they are not nervous about this.
The dates for the Stake baptisms are on this site under primary. There are also some frequently asked questions and information you will want to know before your baptism day.
As a Stake Primary Presidency we are so proud of your child. We are excited for this special day for your child to make these sacred covenants with Heavenly Father as they are baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. They are becoming the newest members of “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints”.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is in charge of the baptisms in our Stake? The Stake Primary Presidency and High councilman over Primary are in charge of the baptisms. They plan and schedule the times and rooms assigned to the wards. Each ward is assigned a room (Chapel, Relief Society room, Aaronic Priesthood room and Young Women room) and a time for their baptisms (9:00, 10:15, 11:30-this may vary). This is done a month before your baptism. Wards that have 3 or more children are in the Chapel. Please know that requesting a time or room is not encouraged because of our large Stake.
- Who plans the program of the baptism? Your Bishop and Primary President plan the program for your ward; prayers, talks, testimonies and musical numbers etc. Work with them on any questions you might have about who you want to participate in this. Your baptism will last 1 hour or less. You will meet in your assigned room for these things and then be taken to the font for the baptism and then go back to the room you were in to finish up your program.
- When will I know where what my assigned time is and where to meet and what to do at the Church? Your Primary President will let you know the details (time and room) of your baptism 3 weeks before the baptism. The Stake will send a letter to your child 2 weeks before the scheduled date to let you know information about when to be there for clothing and what to expect. A couple from our Stake is called to help with clothing the day of baptisms. *Refer to Baptism Letter on website
- Who will set up the room that the baptism is in? If your ward is the first baptism of the day, your ward will be in charge of putting up the chairs for the baptism. If your ward is the last baptism of the day, you will need to put the chairs away. The rooms will be vacuumed and cleaned before you arrive.
- What if we have a lot of guests coming and so do the other families in the ward? We use the largest rooms in the Stake center and they accommodate a lot of guests. If there are 3 or more children in your ward we try to put the ward in the Chapel. If there are 4 or more children to be baptized your bishop may decide to do 2 different sessions with your ward. To accommodate large families in the font room your bishop may have each family in the ward go to the font separately so that all guests can fit.
- Can I have my own baptism? Your Stake and Ward leaders try to make your childs day as special as possible. Your child and their friends from Primary will be baptized together. We highly discourage Special/Individual Baptisms because we try to make each baptism special. The First Presidency has counseled, “Members should not request special or individual times or prescribe the content of baptismal services.” (Handbook 2, Administering the Church 2010;Section 10.3.4 pg. 170). Please feel free to discuss this with your bishop if you have additional questions.
- What if I want to schedule the Gym or Pavilion for after my childs baptism? Using the Gym or Pavilion is available only if your ward is at the latest baptism time. Teresa Boden is the building scheduler and she will know if there is availability and you must schedule this with her. Her # is (801-423-2175). If you use either of these places please keep reverence in the building and clean up after yourselves. You will be responsible to make sure the building is locked up.
- What if I have a conflict with the time I am assigned or the date of the Stake baptism? If you can’t get baptized the month you turn 8 that is ok. We have baptisms once a month so it is very easy to move to the next month. Just talk with your Primary President and let her know when you can do it and she will let the Stake know.